Our History

Chronicled in the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek (1830), the United States government gave a section of land to Peggy Trehan, a Choctaw Indian, and an adjoining section to John Donley, a white mail rider. All that separated the two sections was a survey line known as present day Line Street. The original owners then sold their sections to Franklin E. Plummer and Hiram G. Runnels. The two sections became known as Pittsburg and Tullahoma. Because of a bitter rivalry between the towns’ residents, representatives met in 1836 in an effort to solve the problems. This meeting resulted in a plan to merge the two towns into one.

On July 4, 1836, a mock wedding ceremony performed by Rev. Abraham Lucas, a Methodist minister, joined a bride representing Tullahoma and a groom representing Pittsburg to form the new town of Grenada. Some believe the town was named after Granada, Spain, and simply misspelled.

The town was a quiet trading center for many years until the coming of the railroad in 1860. As the junction of two important Mississippi railroads, the city grew in importance as a rail center in the late 19th century. In 1870, Grenada County was formed and Grenada was named the county seat. A building boom from 1880 to 1920 took place during these years and most of the historic resources remaining in Grenada are commercial buildings and residences reflecting this period in the town’s history. After 1920 development stowed until new industries moved into the city in the late 1930s. Most construction after 1940 has taken place in areas to the west and south of the original city boundaries.

Civil Rights

James Meredith’s 1966 “March Against Fear” arrived in Grenada on June 15. Civil Rights activists protesting racial segregation included Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Joan Baez, Andrew Young, Ralph Abernathy, and others. The group’s demonstrations continued in Grenada for one week.

Grenada College

The city was once home to Grenada College, a Methodist junior college for women. Because of financial troubles, the church closed the college and transferred all assets to Millsaps College.