Grenada was settled on Choctaw land. With the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830, the Choctaw sold much of their land and moved to reservations in the west. Those remaining were granted sections of land with which they could either settle or sell. Peggy Tryhan, a Choctaw, received a large plot of land along die Yalobusha under the Dancing Rabbit Treaty. Tryhan sold her land to sole Mississippi congressman Franklin E. Plummer. Plummer established the town of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh consisted of thirty-five blocks subdivided into 249 lots. The town was bounded on the north by the Yalobusha River, the south by Margin Street, the east by Line Street, and the west by Commerce street. The sale of lots began in 1835.
John Donley, a white mail rider and favorite among the Choctaw, also received land which he sold to investors lead by Hiram G. Runnels, the Governor of Mississippi. Lots were put up for sale at public auction its 1834. Streets were laid out in an east and west direction south of the Yalobusha. The two cities were divided by a surveyor’s line. The dividing line between the two cities is now Line Street.
Runnels and Plummer were bitter business rivals and political opponents. This caused much dissent between the two cities, so much so that two ferries operated across the Yalobusha River, one from each settlement.
In 1836, representatives from both cities met in hopes of resolving their disagreements. A decision was made to combine the two feuding towns. A celebration was held in the form of a wedding ceremony on July 4, 1836, in which a bride front Tullahoma and a groom from Pittsburgh were chosen to represent the unification. The Reverand Abraham B. Lucas, a Methodist minister performed the wedding ceremony on near the current town square that formed Grenada.
There is some question as to how the new city was named Grenada. Some say that the city was named after Granada, Spain, and was later misspelled. Others claim that the name derived from an Indian word meaning marriage.
The western part of Grenada County joins the edge of the Mississippi Delta. The Delta was formed by thousands of years of movement of the Mississippi River leaving behind rich, fertile soil. The Delta meets the Hills and becomes the Loess Bluff, a geological narrow soil formation extending from parts of Tennessee down towards Hinds and Warren counties. The bluffs were formed by melting glaciers as they moved north during the Pliocene Epoch. The melting river caused by the glaciers was larger than the modem Mississippi River. The meeting of these two unique geological formations is very evident as you drive along Highway 8 towards Holcomb and along Highway 35.
During earlier epochs this area was part of the coastal plains and several unique fossil discoveries have helped geologists and paleontologists identify the presence of many species underwater life.
City of Grenada
Grenada Economic Development
Points To Note
Grenada Historical Museum and Coca Cola Memorabilia Display located at the City Hall on First Street.
During the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. kept headquarters in the basement of Vincent United Methodist Church.
Grenada’s role in the Civil Rights Movement is documented in the ABJW Museum on Hwy 51 North.
Two murals depicting historical Grenada are located downtown on Main Street.
Grenada Middle School proudly displays the nationally acclaimed “Walls That Teach” mural project. The murals offer a visual representation of the history of civilization, ancient Egypt, China, the Roman Republic, and a “living” Choctaw homesite complete with a 150′ flowing creek.
Army National Guard Camp McCain was once an Army base that served as a POW Camp in WWII.
The Grenada Airport began as a military airbase. It is now owned by the City of Grenada. Visitors will often see helicopters and other military aircraft refueling.
Visitor’s Center at Grenada Lake offers a wealth of information to visitors interested its the Civil War wildlife, nature, safe boating practices, and much more including a gift shop.
First Baptist Church
c.1838, 714 S. Line Street
The original church was was destroyed by a tornado and fire before the current building was constructed in 1940. The fountain in front of the church was originally located in the front of Grenada College.
The Jones House
c.1860, 751 S. Main Street
Built by Dr. Robert Lewis Jones, this stately home was built when very little electricity existed. Dr. Steve and Pat Ashley, current owners, purchased the home in 1998. Some of the features include the original carriage house, a veranda and a mysterious chandelier from New Orleans with one bulb that chooses not to work.
The Thomas House
c.1900, 719 S. Main Street
Built by a prominent business man, much of the original house remains. The interior front rooms suggest Art Nouveau with their fine stenciled ceilings and stained glass.
The Walthall House
c.1860, 73 College Blvd.
Edward C. Walthall, a noted Confederate General and U.S. Senator bought this Greek revival style cottage in 1871. He remodeled it to resemble his childhood home in Richmond, VA.
c.1845, 115 College Blvd.
Constructed in 1845 the home was purchased by the Winter family in 1858. Mrs. S.A. Morrison purchased the home in 1909 and it was sold to Mr. and Mrs Grady Green in the early 1980′s. It is currently occupied by Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Carter.
The Holly Knoll House
c.1870′s, 315 College Blvd.
Dr. Robert Lewis Jones built this home for his sister. It was opened as a gathering spot for meals and lodging for 111 teachers and students attending college.
All Saints Episcopal Church
c.1890, 459 S. Main Street
The church contains much of the original furniture and windows. According to legend, the stained glass window facing Main Street was either a gift from the Trinity Church in New York City or was shipped directly from England in its frame.
The Hardy House
c.1885, 436 S. Main Street
The Hardy House was built in 1885 but has been extensively altered. It is notable because of its materials, scale and porch configuration.
The Bowen Oaks Home
c.1900, 433 S. Main Street
Owned by T Gerald Bowen, the home was purchased from the Baker family in 1973. “A bit of new and a great many antiques for interest,” describes the restoration of this home. Built by Grenada merchant J.0. Wilson, this home has not been altered since the time of its construction. Interesting features of the house are the intricately carved wooden mantels and handsome staircase, original ionic columns, a second story balcony.
c.1899, 409 S. Main Street White
Gables is a victorian style multi-gabled home with two staircases, attractive mantels, and ornate gables.
The Heath House
c.1907, 350 S. Main Street
This house is one of the grandest examples of its style with its rounded tower ornamented with wooden shingles, a Palladian window, and a doorway framed with transom lights containing leaded glass in the Art Nouveau design. The glass was ordered from Sears Roebuck Co. It is said to contain the most spectacular staircase in Grenada.
The Brown House
c.1904, 331 S. Main Street
While the house was being built it was burned by mistake by a disgruntled relative of a neighbor. The Browns moved into the house in 1906 to celebrate their 25th Wedding Anniversary.
The Roane House
c.1886, 328 S. Main Street
This home was built by Judge A. T. Roan who moved his family from Calhoun County to Grenada for the sole purpose of educating his children. The home was described as “fitting of an old mansion, most convenient and elegant.” The second story was destroyed by fire in the 1900′s.
The Dubard House
c.1850, 317 Third Street
Mr. Dubard died in this house in 1944 at the age of 96 and at the time of his death was the oldest citizen of Grenada and the last Confederate Veteran in the city. Four generations of Dubards lived in this home. The interesting features of this house are the wide verandas of both upper and lower levels and floor length windows on the first floor.
The Illinois Central Depot
c.1928, 634 First Street
The existing depot was rebuilt on the original site after being destroyed by Union Calvary in 1863. At least three different depot frames were added to the site to handle increasing rail traffic.
Central Baptist Church
c.1971, 327 Second Street
Contains 53 stained glass windows.
c.1925, 210 s. Main Street
This building while not the original meeting place for the Masons in the area, quickly became a local landmark. It was restored in 2000.
The Old Post Office
c.1916, 179 S. Main Street
This was Grenada’s first postal owned building. Grenada’s post Office is a worth while example of the Georgian Revival Style.
The Grenada Bank
c.1845, 223 First Street
The building exemplified the new bank’s financial aspirations and vitality in shaping the material progress of Grenada and the surrounding region, particularly in the subsequent sponsorship of one of the first branch systems in the state. Grenada Bank later became Sunburst Bank then Union Planters Bank and later Regions Bank.
Corner of Main and First Streets
The original site of the Grenada County Courthouse, the square is now home to a lovely park that is often used for weddings, rallies, and civic events.
c.1838, 180 S. Doak Street
Located on land purchased feo $137.50, this is the first church established in Grenada. The original structure was used until a new building was constructed in 1904. The church currently houses a pipe organ purchased by Andrew Carnegie foundation.
The Duncan House
c.1880, 133 Margin Street
Featuring extensive shingling and millwork in the gables, the porch is adorned with Doric Tuscan columns.
The John Moore House
c.1856, 201 Margin Street
This home was built by architect John Moore as his home. The columns were imported by boat from England. It is one of the most exquisitely restored and furnished homes in Grenada. The beautiful balcony was used by General Sterling Price, Commander of the Confederate Army of the West, to view his troops.
The Cottage Inn
c.1901, 329 Margin Street
A historically accurate Bed and Breaklitst located in the heart of Grenada’s Historic district.
The John Lake House
c.1880, 425 Margin Street
Designed by the son-in-law of Leflore.
The Golladay House
c. 1850, 501 Margin Street
John Moore, architect, built this house for Mr. George Golladay whose wife died suddenly the night before their daughter’s wedding in the house. The wedding was immediately changed to a funeral where the casket lay in the room decorated for the wedding. In 1861, Mr. Golladay opened his home to Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, who used it has his headquarters. A I2-year old Golladay daughter “accidentally” shot and killed a Union Officer on the front steps of the house. Golladay’s granddaughter was strangled and left on the upstairs bathroom floor in May of 1932 as an elderly woman. The house is said to be haunted.
The College Inn
c.1830′s 131 College Street
In 1835, a missionary John Smith operated a tavern here. After 1840, it housed the Yalobusha Female Institute from which the street took its name. It was a hotel during the war between the states and owned by the French. It was a French flag flying in the front that stopped a Union officer of French descent front raiding the hotel. Instead he saluted it and moved on.
The First United Methodist Church
c.1855, 161 S. Line Street
Boasts a bell from Cincinnati, shipped by boat down the Ohio, Mississippi, and Yalobusha Rivers in 1849. An excellent Wicks pipe organ was installed in the Church in 1947.
The Old Elizabeth Jones Library
c.1936, 320 S. Line Street
Home to the Elizabeth Jones Library until March of 1989.
Elizabeth Jones Library
c.1989, 1050 Fairfield Ave.
It is named for their first librarian Elizabeth Jones. For further information regarding local history visit the library’s Mississippi Room.
The Confederate Cemetery
In June of 1984, the Grenada Garden Club, along with others interested in the project, began restoration of the Confederate Cemetery located directly behind the Odd Fellows Cemetery. 180 graves marked “Unknown Confederate Soldier” were found under the tall grasses, vines, and bushes. In 1985 it was recognized in the Mississippi Department of Archives and History as a place of historical significance.
The Odd Fellows Cemetery
c.1860 – 1920
This cemetery is Grenada’s largest historic cemetery. The cemetery contains several hundred graves and markers. The Odd Fellows Cemetery is where many of Grenada’s earliest and most prominent citizens were buried. The Cemetery is entered through 1890 cast iron gates with an oval shaped drive extending through the cemetery with graves and markers on either side of the drive.
Civil War Fort
c.1862 Located at Grenada Lake on Scenic Route 333,
These two forts were built in anticipation of a battle being fought on the Yalobusha River when General Grant was advancing down the Mississippi Central Railroad. They can be viewed and markers are present to show sonic interpretations of the fort sites. Five other Civil War Forts exist on private property. One fort has been restored while the others remain in its natural condition.
The Visitor’s Center
Located at Grenada Lake on Scenic Route 333
The first of its kind in the Vicksburg District, this modern facility was designed to blend harmoniously into the beautiful surroundings of Grenada Lake. It offers the visiting public an in-depth look at the Corps of Engineers and its many responsibilities through displays, exhibits and audio visual programs.
Sites and Districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
- Confederate Earthworks
- Evergreen Plantation
- Glenwild Plantation Manager’s House
- Grenada Bank
- Grenada Masonic Temple
- Illinois Central Depot
- Lee-Dubard House
- Odd Fellows, Confederate and Yellow Fever Cemetaries
- Providence Cemetary
- US Post Office–Grenada
- Sen. Edward C. Walthall House
- Wild Wings Mounds
- Yalobusha Line Defensive Trench
- Margin Street & part of Line Street Historic District